In the early days of motoring, stripped down Speedsters were the passion of many young drivers hoping to attain a sporty open air raceabout from car makers like Mercer or Stutz. In 1914, REO offered just 2 body styles, a five-passenger touring car and a two-passenger roadster, both powered by a 30-35 HP engine and neither of these being particularly sporty in their looks. This Speedster’s origins are believed to have initially been assembled in the late 70s near Mason, Michigan. It was acquired by an old car enthusiast, Dan Shafarman, who has a passion for REO automobiles. Under his ownership, he reportedly had the car running and finished giving it the speedy persona it has today. Shafarman hand formed the fenders on this car and then added two vintage brass headlights which were electrified to operate on a six-volt system. He then created dual bucket seats for the driver and passenger and added a fuel tank mounted high behind the seats. Several other special touches were added to complete the look including a rather distinguished paint scheme of fire-engine red with bright yellow applied to the spokes of the demountable rums as well as the undersides of the fenders plus attractive outlining on the seats.