Founded by American native Walter Gunn in 1906, Lagonda was a British manufacturer of luxury cars was the first vehicle selling in 1907. The company was acquired by Aston Martin, then under the direction of David Brown, in 1947.
The Lagonda 2.6L was produced from 1948 to 1953, with the vast majority of the 510 units being four-door four-seater sedans. In 1949 Lagonda contracted with Tickford, at that time not a part of the Aston Martin family, to body a very limited number of four-seater two-door drophead coupes. For an expensive car entering production so soon after WWII, sales were comparatively robust and provided the company with a larger vehicle than the smaller Aston Martin.
Research leads us to believe this 1950 Lagonda Drophead Coupe is one of 10 vehicles known to exist. The red livery is nicely accented by a classic tan leather interior with rich woodgrain appointments befitting such a rare vehicle. In every way, this car presents very well and is a remarkable example of a post-WWII British luxury car. This Lagonda 2.6L embodies the spirit of the era and would be a welcome addition to any portfolio.
FUN FACT: Although the name “Lagonda” sounds Italian in origin, Gunn actually named the company for a Shawnee settlement near his birthplace of Springfield, OH.